Manuka is one of the tea-tree family and is also known as the red tea or white tea tree.
Many conditions have been treated traditionally in New Zealand by using different parts of the tree :
- Resin can be applied to burns, scalds, contusions and wounds
- An infusion made from the leaves for kidney problems and fever
- Preparation from the bark can be used as a sedative, pain and assist healing
- Seeds possess anti-inflammatory properties and are good for stomach problems
- Manuka honey is a powerful anti-bacterial & anti-inflammatory